Preggers (again with No. 5) and Proud!

Baby Number 5 for Cathy and Cliff is expected May 13th (what a great Mothers Day gift) 2006. Right now we have 4 kids. Cameron is 6, Claire is 5, Carly is 3.5 and Catie is 1 year old. We have a larger family than the normal, but we have lots of love in the house!

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Caroline Mae's Birth Story

Finally a day for induction was set. May 2nd.  How very final! Wow. A birthdate for our baby! The end was in site! What a churn of emotions! And a sense of relief to finally know who was in my belly and if he or she would be OK!

And then, at end of last week I got a call from my Doctor personally, and he asked if May 2nd was good for me. So, I said whatever day works for you. So, May 2nd it was. And this birth would be on the 20th anniversary of Expo '86! How very cool.Well, that night before her birth, I was so nervous and scared of what the next day would hold. I didn't sleep very well as I was nearing 38 1/2 weeks! By this time in my other pregnancies I had Cameron, Claire and Carly. So, I was READY. So, I woke up at 6 am and called into L&D. They had had a very busy night. Could I call back around 8:30 a.m. So, I called everybody who was waiting to hear the news of my induction. Everything was on hold. I called back at 8:25 am and they said they were just waiting for a bed to become available and to be ready for Noon. Sure thing. So, I waited and waited...Finally at 11:00 am I get a call from my Doc. They are ready for you now! Can you come in...OK. Of course my FIL was out at the bank, and my parents were out walking to their bank. So, I told my Doc that I would go on my own. And, Cliff would meet me. But, FIL got home early. So, we packed up the big red suitcase and headed over. It was about 11:45, and we were asked to wait in the waiting room. And I walked in, and there was another couple waiting, and then another two couples came and went.

FINALLY we were placed in Room 333. The same room that we had when we delivered Catie in September 2004. It was a nice room overlooking the airport. Nice view again! And my friend Lisa came in and talked to me, brought in a fruit plate and just talked with me. Her voice was very soothing. She stayed until 2:30, and then had to go. She came back later.

So, I was asked to get into my blue gown, and give urine sample. As I am getting undressed, I hear my doc's voice. Yikes I thought...this is really the day. I am having a baby today. So, I get strapped to the monitor, they take a reading on the strip for a bit. First he checked me, and I was 4 cm and very stretchy. Cervix was 2 cms long but soft. So, I had made another cm progress since my last week appt!

Then Dr. D breaks my water. That was at 12:45 p.m.

It takes a good 3 tries to get my baby's pool popped. Finally I feel the warm gush of water. It is the beginning of my labour with Number 5. We work on the questions, and I was asked by our nurse if it was OK to have a head nurse, a student nurse and a "Shadow" nurse to watch and follow our labour and delivery. Of course I said yes! What a neat opportunity to share with others! The "Shadow" had never ever seen a birth! Very cool. Anyways. I stood up and started swaying my hips, and rocking back and forth, and emptying my bladder regularily. I also kept very hydrated with water all day. My hips and swollen legs and feet hurt from standing, but at 2:10 I felt my first contraction. Very cool. And from that point on I felt regular contractions that were about 10 mins apart and about 30-50 seconds long. I got tired of standing, so I got on the ball and rolled my hips around etc. The contractions picked up. Some were about 45-50 mins long and were a lot stronger. I was making progress. I could just tell.

There was one head in charge that I didn't like. She was practically insisting that I would need Pitocin if I didn't start labour. I said I have never needed it, and I don't plan on using it. Thanks. I trust that my body will do what it needs. Anyways. She asked a couple of times. I didn't like her. I stood my ground. And I asked my nurse why she was like that and she said it is more for selfish reasons as they have a shift change at 7:30 and like to finish up before that. I asked if they would "make me" do the drip. And they said no...they cannot make me do anything...good. It is my body! I am in charge of my body! I can do this without ANYTHING. So anyways I kept up my rocking and hip swaying and stuff, and suddenly I could tell things were changing in my body. The contractions started to hurt, and some were lasting for almost a minute. So, they decided to get me monitored for about 20 mins. The contractions were about 3-5 mins apart and getting alot stronger. Lisa was back here to stay. I had to pee, so I asked if I could get off the strip. I went, and I went back on the bed. It felt better at that point. So, Dr. D came in to check me and I had made progress. I had. I was 5-6 cm and paper thin cervix. Yes! I was almost there. So, I started to have to breathe through some tougher contractions, but in between I was calm and laughing. Even some quiet tears. I decided to put some music on that I had chosen to download to our IPOD. Into one ear only. That was very nice and soothing. I was really tired of watching TV. So that went off. Well, then I could tell things were starting to happen. I think that was around 5:30 ish. I cannot remember anymore. There was a lot more bottom pressure, and really more painful. I could feel that baby was moving down and out. I kept breathing through my contractions, and I could feel my bottom chin quiver as I was silently tearing up. I told them I was very emotional, but not in pain. I asked for gas at that point, but I didn't need it for that long. I was just very excited to have our baby. The one nurse did an awesome job of rubbing my feet, and Cliff held my hand and my other hand lightly held the IPOD. The music helped me to focus. Dr. D walked in with his scrubs on...and he said what are you listening too...I said What a Wonderful World...and so he checked me...I was complete, and head was right there. Another nurse checked me too, and even the student nurse checked me...I agreed to that...that was a lot of checking, but it was a learning experience for her! So I was glad to help her out! Why not. It would really be my last check like that! She did fine too. At the last part before pushing my friend Louise made it to the birth! I had the mirror, Cliff had the camera on a tripod recording, I had Lisa, Dr. Delair, the nurse, the student nurse, the Shadow and the head nurse all at my birth. My sisters didn't make it. They were on the highway whilst Caroline was being born!*edited thanks to my Sister April's updated information! From April: I'd like you to add a disclaimer to the story! :-) LOL We decided to dine as we didn't hear from anyone! Oh well, we were there in sister spirit! I am glad your spirit was there!!! Love,
April .

This is the first birth they haven't made. Which was too bad. But still OK as there were others there to support me. Thank goodness for Lisa. She was awesome. The music that I remember the most was the Blackbird song. I think I will remember that forever. And the sun was streaming into the room.

So, Dr. D says if you feel like pushing, go ahead. My body automatically started pushing, and that made a lot of progress just like that. So, out goes the IPOD earphone so I can concentrate on the pushing, and totally listening to Dr. D. I did. And I pushed really hard through one contraction and baby's head was out...I was watching in the mirror, and I said there is our baby!! It was joy to see the head! Then moved the cord out of the way. He said give a grunt, and the shoulders were out, and then a push and the baby was out! It's a GIRL!!! It is Caroline Mae!! The time was 6:12 pm.I said I knew it! And then I tried to cut the cord, but I had troubles. So, Cliff ended up cutting the cord. She needed a bit of oxygen and then she was fine! She came out so fast.

She fed within the first hour, and then the visitors started right away...my sisters, my FIL, my MIL and my Mom. It was great. Even my friend Kim came! With a beautiful little pink coat from Macy's for her. She bought is weeks ago when I said I think I am having another girl! So that was great. When everybody left, we watched TV, and I just fed Caroline and loved her up. She was beautiful in every way that I could imagine. Perfect ending to a last pregnancy and birth. At about 11 Caroline had her first bath. They took her away for that. She had peed before and after here bath. Then I fed, and then she slept. She had several meconium poops too. Good. Things appear to be working! We had a good first night in the hospital. After a lot of feeding, including myself LOL. We went "to bed" if you can call it that. Caroline slept from 12-6 am. Then regular feeds. She did a lot of spitting up. In fact we almost had to take her home in a blue sleeper. She spat up on all of our outfits, and even her blankets! Cliff went home to get an extra sleeper or two, and made us sandwiches as the food at the hospital was not very good! So, we had breakfast, and the Dr. D came into visit us. We said we would go home at noon. So he came back, checked out Caroline. I had Caroline weighed and measured at the nursery. She weighed in pretty good. But even spit up there. Dr. D was not worried about that either were the nurses. That is common when a baby comes out as quick as she did at birth. Not enough time to clear her out. So, Cliff and I watched TV, and we waited for my bloodwork, and then waited to see what blood type Caroline was. And so, then after we found out I need to have a Rhogam shot. That took forever. So, we ended up getting out about 3:30 ish instead. So, we got the card for the PKU test, and headed out into the beautiful sunny and warm spring afternoon.

We got home, and the yard was filled with pink balloons and a congratulations sign on the garage. It made me feel so emotional. The kids were so EXCITED to meet their sister! It was a great day!! It was great to be home. We had a "normal" day yesterday, and then a normal day today. We took her in for her PKU test, and she cried for a second, and then was fine! She cried when we put her sleeper back on. She is soooo awesome. It was pretty great, and I am sad that that was my last time. But everything feels right this time. We are awaiting a call from the hospital to take Caroline in for her kidney ultrasound. Hopefully tomorrow or Monday.

End Note:
What a full bloom of love we have now! The love rooted between Cliff and I produced our first born son, Cameron our first and only boy...the branch which started in '99, and in 2001 we added a delicate tulip (Claire) and in 2002 we added a bold sunflower (Carly) and in 2004 we added a blooming pink rose (Catie) and on May 2nd we added a beautiful, tiny Lily of the Valley (Caroline) My life is very full...I have a wonderful, supportive husband and 5 wonderful kids and a wonderful family that is supportive and loving. This is the life! I am 5x's blessed with these beautiful blooms. I left the hospital yesterday with a sense of relief, and a sense of sadness. I would never return to the maternity ward again to be a patient. That was a really weird feeling. And yet, peaceful to walk out and feel free! And know that now the family is complete and we can all enjoy the fruits of our labour in our family forever.

Sarah McLachlan - Blackbird Lyrics

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to be free
Blackbird fly

Blackbird fly
Into the light of a dark black night(2x)

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise
You were only waiting for this moment to arise
You were only waiting for this moment to arise.

Cathy
No longer pregnant!

2 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

CONGRATS, Cathy!! I was so excited to hear of Caroline's birth and read your birth story! Now we need MORE pictures!!!! I'm so glad everything went smoothly and you avoided the Pitocin! I think you have commemorated your last pregnancy beautifully! Your story made me tear up. Yes, you will definitely enjoy the fruits of your labour forever!! I'm so glad I've "met" you!!! Love, Katie

3:52 PM  
Blogger Susanna said...

Hahahaha!!! Never say last :)

12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home